Dr. Krishna Prasad
MS (Gen-Surgery), DNB (Urology)
Consultant Urologist, NU Hospitals
Dr. Krishna Prasad is a Consultant Urologist at NU Hospitals, Bangalore. After completing his MBBS, and Masters in Surgery (MS) he pursued his Diplomate National Board (DNB) in Urology at the Institute of Kidney Diseases and Research Centre, it is India's largest stand-alone Nephro-Urology hospital and India's only transplant university. His training there has given him a vast exposure to various complex transplant clinical scenarios, in both live and cadaver kidney transplants. His other area of interest is laparoscopic (minimally invasive) surgery and its adaptation to Urology. He is adept at retroperitoneal laparoscopy which is a special type of laparoscopy for kidney surgeries and is probably the only surgeon in Bangalore performing this surgery routinely. In addition to laparoscopy, he is passionate about vascular access (fistulae) which are needed for patients to undergo dialysis. He has presently received a fellowship to pursue this interest more vigorously by an observership at the Barnes- Jewish Hospital, USA. He has organized specialized training programmes for urologist from all over the state in specific areas of Urology. He is a member of various societies including Bangalore Urological society (BUS), Karnataka Urological Association (KUA), Association of Southern Urologists (ASU), Urological Society of India (USI). He is also part of the Team NU – Urology Department and is actively involved in training super specialists in Urology.
Presentation, Awards, Publications and Achievements
CME Topic / Presentations
- PCNL – Pushing the Limits (Poster). 12th Annual Conference Tamilnadu and Puducherry Association of Urologists. Erode.
- Our Experience with Paediatric PCNL. 12th Annual Conference Tamilnadu and Puducherry Association of Urologists. Erode.
- Medical Expulsive Therapy for Ureteric Calculi – The Present Practice. 12th Annual Conference Karnataka Urologists Association, Mysore.
- Simultaneous Bilateral PCNL – Our Experience. 12th Annual Conference Karnataka Urologists Association, Mysore
- Renal Autotransplantation – Our Experience. IKDRC, Transplantation Update 2010, September
- Transplantation and Anomalous Renal Vein – Transplantation Update 2010, Ahmedabad.
- Renal Medical Control by Ligasure in Pretransplant Nephrectomy – Transplantation Update 2011, Ahmedabad.
- Geriatric Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy – Annual Conference USICON 2011 – Kolkata
- Primary Bladder Neck Obstruction in Women Surgical Management and Outcome – Annual Conference USICON 2011 – Kolkata.
- AV fistulae failure – What are the options? – 24th Zonal Conference SZ-USICON 2013
- "Ultrasound, Arteriovenous fistulae, and the Urologist. Do they mix?" For NU Hospitals Video session at KUACON 2014, the 19th Annual conference of the Karnataka Urology Association, at Bangalore.
- "Stent Register; Is it necessary and enough? The Indian perspective" For Dr. Dilip Adappa Best Paper Session at KUACON 2014, the 19th Annual conference of the Karnataka Urology Association, at Bangalore.
- As a delegate in the Pre-Conference Instructional Course on Advanced Pediatric Endo-Urology, 4th Annual Conference of the Pediatric Urology Chapter of the Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons, Bangalore 2014, made the following presentations:
- Size – does it really matter? The "Smaller" versus "Bigger" Amplatz
- ESWL in the Pediatric Age
- Botulinum toxin in Pediatric Urology
- Bladder Neck Incision in PUV
- As Faculty for the Urology Masterclass on Management of Detrusor Overactivity with Botulinum Toxin at NU Hospitals made the following presentations
- Overview of data & insights from BOTOX® clinical studies
- Management of NDO from science to clinical strategy.
- As Faculty for the Urology Masterclass on PCNL at NU Hospitals made the following presentations
- Ultrasound guided needle guidance?
- Which dilatation technique is better?
- Video: “Retroperitonioscopic tumour management – The Way Backward !!” SZ-USICON on 12th July, Vishakapatnam AP
- Podium: “Ulno-basilic fistula (UB-AVF) – Is is an option?” SZ-USICON on 10-12th July at Vishakapatnam, AP.
- Vein Augmentation – a useful salvage technique” – AVATAR 2016 Interventional Nephrology Conference, Delhi.
- Pseudoaneurysms – Outcomes of Surgical Salvage” – AVATAR 2017 Interventional Nephrology Conference. Goa
- Correlation of the anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis and parenchymal thickness after 3 months of Anderson-Hynes Dismembered Pyeloplasty in predicting change in the glomerular filtration rate and split renal function after 1 year in children with Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction" – IAUA – AUA 2017, Boston.
- Mysore PG Paper Award, 22nd Annual Conference KSC-ASI / ASI South zone, Bangalore.
- Pompana Goud prize for the Best student in General Surgery, Department of Surgery Vijayanagar Institute of Medical Sciences, Bellary.
- Krishnamoorthy prize for Best Free Paper “Our Experience with Paediatric PCNL”. 12th Annual Conference Tamilnadu and Puducherry Association of Urologists. Erode
- DilipAdappa Best Paper award held at KUACON 2014, the 19th Annual conference of the Karnataka Urology Association, at Bangalore for the scientific paper titled "Stent Register; Is it necessary and enough?- The Indian perspective".
- Professor A.P. Pandey Travelling Fellowship for 2015 and observed vascular access procedures at the Barnes-Jewish Hospital, USA.
- Best Paper Award at the Interventional Nephrology Conference on “Vein Augmentation – a useful salvage technique” – AVATAR 2016 Interventional Nephrology Conference.
- • MIUC International Travel Fellowship- for presenting a poster at the IAUA-AUA2017, Boston titled “Correlation of the anteroposterior diameter of the renal pelvis and parenchymal thickness after 3 months of Anderson-Hynes Dismembered Pyeloplasty in predicting change in the glomerular filtration rate and split renal function after 1 year in children with Ureteroplevic Junction Obstruction” and observership in robotic/laparoscopic procedures under the guidance of Dr Badrinath Konety, Department Chair – Urology, University of Minnesota,2017.
- Andrology workshop by Prof Ashok Agarwal (Cleveland Clinic, Ohio) on 13th Oct 2017 at Gunasheela Memorial Conference, Ritz Carlton, Bangalore, India.
- Andrology observership under Prof Dr Craig Neiderberger at University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) in Andrology from 14th August to 25th August 2017.
- Andrology observership under Dr Rupin Shah (Andrologist and Microsurgeon) at Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai (India) from 24th July to 29th July 2017.
- European School of Urology (ESU) course on “Office management of Male Sexual Dysfunction” on 26th March 2017 at Excel, London.
- ESU course on “The Infertile Couple- Urological aspects” on 27th March 2017 at Excel, London.
- Andrology masterclass by Dr Ranjith Ramasamy (University of Miami) and Dr Giulio Garaffa (UCLH, London) at USICON 2017, Mumbai on 21st Jan 2017.
- Andrology Workshop at Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, Karnataka on 25-26 June 2016.
- Consultant Uro-Andrologist, NU Hospitals
- Synchronous twin track percutaneous nephrolithotomy: A Preliminary Experience. S V Kandasami, R Krishna Rao, M Arul, M S Ranganath, T Krishna Prasad. Indian Journal of Urology, Volume 24 Issue 1.
- Synchronized bilateral percutaneous nephrolithotomy in a horseshoe kidney. R Krishna Rao, M S Ranganath, T Krishna Prasad. Indian Journal of Urology, Volume 24 Issue 1.
- Laparoscopic en bloc kidney transplantation; Modi P, T Krishna Prasad, Rizvi SJ, Vyas J, Padhi S, Shah K, Patel R: Indian Journal of Urology. 2012 Jul-Sep; 28(3): 362–365
- Retroperitoneoscopic left donor nephrectomy with duplicated IVC. Rizvi SJ, T Krishan Prasad, Modi PR Indian Journal of Nephrology, 2012 Nov;22(6):480-1
- Retroperitoneoscopic Living Donor Nephrectomy and Laparoscopic Kidney Transplantation: Experience of First 72 Cases: Modi, P, Rizvi, J, Krishnaprasad, T, Shah, V, Modi. M, Trivedi, H.
- 94(10S):186, November 27, 2012
- Retroperitoneoscopic Living-Donor Nephrectomy and Laparoscopic Kidney Transplantation: Experience of Initial 72 Cases Modi, P, Rizvi, J, Krishnaprasad, T, Shah. V, Modi. M, Trivedi. H. Transplantation. 95(1):100-105, January 15, 2013.
As a recognized Institute for training DNB(Urology) candidates, I am actively involved in teaching and the training of our residents.
- Bangalore Urological Society (BUS)
- Karnataka Urology Association (KUA)
- Tamil Nadu & Puducherry Association of Urologists
- Association of Southern Urologists of India
- Urological Society of India