Life presents us with many choices. It’s the choices we make that determine our future. This is all the more evident in the healthcare sector these days where patients would like to have multiple opinions before going ahead with the medical treatment advised by the physicians relevant to their specific health issues. In other words, patients would like to meet multiple doctors and take their individual opinions. This is also referred to as doctor shopping.
Doctor shopping is widely seen in patients addicted to drugs but there is another sector which is in great demand across the world and continues to see patients being impatient and choosing to doctor shop and that is choosing the IVF treatment to address fertility issues.
IVF continues to by far be the most used medically assisted reproductive technique. However, it has been observed that most of the patients resort to doctor shopping here. The reasons are multiple.
1. Patients want to take an opinion if they really need IVF or could do away with other simple treatments.
– Choose a fertility specialist who clearly justifies the treatment, discusses the other available options and their pros and cons. Discuss the success rates of each of the options available and then decide
2. Next thing to be discussed is the success rate of IVF.
– Always remember IVF success rate is anywhere between 50-65 % across the globe and never 100%. Success depends on multiple factors. Patient factors cannot be changed but appropriate clinical judgement and individualization of protocols can make a difference. Choose a clinician with a good experience. Read their online reviews and consider taking reference from other patients who have undergone IVF there.
The IVF lab and the embryologist make a huge difference in the success rate. Choose a centre which has a well maintained and well equipped IVF lab. Make sure they have a in house senior embryologist. Insist on talking to them so that you can get to know who is handling your embryos and also clear all your doubts and uncertainties. Make sure to enquire about the success rate of the centre which you are considering.
3. Next important consideration is the finance.
– Most of the IVF clinics are not transparent about the charges. They do not divulge the exact price during the discussions with the patients. Most centres offer IVF packages. However, having had to make a choice, you may not be right all the time as you might just be lured into attractive packages and actually end up shelling much more than what you anticipated.
When comparing the IVF packages enquire about the hormonal injections used. Substandard drugs can decrease the cost of the IVF package but may compromise with the outcome. Also find out if the package includes the procedures like semen freezing, embryo freezing, blastocyst transfer, laser hatching, frozen embryo transfer or any other add on s which may be suggested by your fertility expert.
4. Publicity: With many IVF centres cropping up, all of them resort to publicity to be visible. Don’t blindly follow the publicity material. Decide based on the above parameters.
It’s time to choose wise and choose well. Hence make your choices reflect your hope, not your fears. It’s up to you to make a healthy choice. Are you still stuck with making the best choice now?!
Your search ends here at NU Hospitals. You will surely not have to make another choice.